University Health Service Richard Verney Health Centre, Edinburgh, EH8 9AL


Patients can now self refer to this service without seeing a GP. Visit to download a referral form.

A GP Advanced Physiotherapy Practitioner (APP)

A GP Advanced Physiotherapy Practitioner (APP) now works within your GP practice. If you have, or think you have, a musculoskeletal (MSK) problem they provide an alternative to seeing you GP.

They provide expert assessment of MSK conditions i.e. muscle, bone and joint problems such as back, neck, shoulder or knee pain. They can provide you with a clinical diagnosis, give you advice on how to manage the problem and suggest appropriate exercise for you to work on independently.

With your agreement and when appropriate, they can refer you to specialist services such as physiotherapy for supported rehab, X-Ray or orthopaedics. If needed they can liaise with your GP to arrange medication or discuss any non- MSK symptoms which might have been found.

You can request an appointment with the GP APP; you may also be directed to them by reception staff who have had training to help them guide you to GP APP. Your GP may also ask you to see the GP APP for an expert MSK opinion

Musculoskeletal (MSK) physiotherapy options:

  1. When should I see a GP or GP Advanced physiotherapy practitioner (GPAPP) in my GP Surgery?

· If you are not sure that the problem is MSK, or that physiotherapy rehabilitation is the right treatment option for you, or you would like an assessment and to discuss your treatment options

· If you feel your referral to MSK out patients is urgent

· If you are experiencing any of the symptoms below you must contact your GP surgery or NHS111

· Fainting

· Bowel/bladder problems

· Reduced or altered sensation in your groin, genitals or back passage area

· Weakness in both legs

· Unexplained weight loss

· Dizziness

· Blurred vision

· Swallowing problems

· Speech impairment

· History of cancer

  1. When should I self refer to MSK out patients physiotherapy

· If your referral is routine and you are over 16

· You have ONE MSK condition /area you would like assessed.

· You can attend the out patient clinic

If your problem is urgent, severe or getting worse then you should call NHS 111 or contact your GP practice.