New Patients Information

Medical Treatment

You should register with a Doctor soon after your arrival in case you need medical advice/treatment whilst you are here.  If you do not register you may have difficulty accessing NHS care when you do need it.
To register go to HOW TO REGISTER WITH US page. You must live within the practice area covered by the practice and, for you first face to face appointment in the surgery, you will be required to bring your matriculation card, proof of ID eg. passport and proof of your address in Edinburgh, digital proof e.g. on your phone WILL NOT be accepted, original paper document is required. If you are from Europe please being your EHIC card with you. Dependants will be assessed and will need to provide proof of being a dependant by showing their visa/passport.
If you are already registered with a doctor in the UK then your new practice will be unable to get your previous NHS record unless you provide them with the name and full address of the GP practice. If you have a current medical card bring that with you.  Your registration can not be completed until you provide these details.

University Health Service

The University Health Service is a GP practice based on the University campus and provides comprehensive medical care for those who choose to register as patients of the practice and who live within the practice’s designated area.  The practice is based in the Richard Verney Health Centre,  6 Bristo Square, Edinburgh, EH8 9AL.
If you are from overseas then we will not have access to your previous medical history and so if you have an ongoing medical condition you should bring details of that condition with you.  If you are on prescribed medication then not all drugs are available in the UK and some are only prescribed at hospital level.  It can take up to 3 months to see a hospital specialist via the NHS so you are advised to bring at least 3 month’s supply of medication with you to ensure that you have a constant supply and do not run out.
 Looking to Register? – see HOW TO REGISTER WITH US PAGE

QUESTIONS you may have.

Our Practice Booklet can be found here